View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 11:07 AM
New England Hick

Bot, what are your thoughts on GMO's? Even though I'm in the ag business it's on the turf and homegarden/small-scale farming side so there isn't an application yet and I don't know enough about it.

On the surface it seems that decreasing fertilizer and pesticide needs is a good thing. OTOH I know that they've already started finding some glyphosate resistant weeds in and around Roundup Ready corn and soybean fields. Scotts has had RR bentgrass ready for mass production to the golf market for a couple of years now but I think the EPA and USDA are concerned with the implications of weed resistance once it gets into a "cosmetic" application as opposed to a food source.

I wonder if the outcry was similar when hybrid vegetables first started showing up in the market? Hybrids are widely accepted now for their insect and disease resistance as well as hardiness and production even though they're technically genetically modified.

We get several phone calls a week wondering if we carry and GM varieties and instead of getting into a long discussion about technicalities and what not, we just tell them we carry open pollinated and hybrid varieties and leave it at that and the conversation usually ends.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)