Thread: W123 Rear Axle
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 07:13 PM

You said in your other post:
I peeked under the car at the right side shaft as I was convinced that the right shaft is the one in question. I could not see the inner boot, but the outer boot looks OK.

Checking visually is not good enough. If you see a crack in the boot check with your finger. I had my 85 300D at my indy's twice and he told me he couldn't find the problem. (Rear made a noise like dragging tin cans but only after driving 10 or 15 miles. One time I found a lightly traveled road and discovered that I could make the noise go away by accelerating in reverse. Someone on this site later explained that was a sign of bad CV joints). Since the flex discs and center bearing were recently replaced I bought CVJ reman axles and found a family transmission place that would replace them. He drove the car around the block and he too said 'no problem', but he put the car on the lift. He used his hand to rotate or lift the axle and again said 'no problem'. I said maybe the grease leaked out the crack. He put his finger to the first boot and said 'nope'. Then finger to the other boot and it went in. He said 'no grease'. I had no idea the crack was open because I had only checked visually. Like my indy did. Axles replaced. Problem gone.