View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 AM
MB, love..hate..love..

560SL dash wood trim strip replacement questions

(I posted this in the detailing section, but no one has replied, I'll try it here)
Has anyone done this? I 'inherited' a full set of burlwood trim strips, included with the car I bought, but never installed. They look like OEM, wood bonded to aluminum, and have a kit number WK107BS. There's a company on EBay (FCP Groton) that sells this kit, apparantly used to be made in Canada by AB Industries. I've searched for hours, and no one has published instructions on how to install them.
The first issue is how to remove the old wood/aluminum from the dash pieces. Any real reason to remove the backing pieces and wood/aluminum from the dash, or just strip off the wood/aluminum and attach the new strips right to the backing pieces? I have the manual with sketchy instructions on removing the pieces, and it doesn't look like fun, nor can I see an advantage.
What's the best way to remove the wood/aluminum from the backing strips?
What's the best way to re-attach the new ones, after cleaning off the old glue (or whatever it is), glue or double-sided tape? And what does the best job of removing the old adhesive?
I'd sure appreciate comments from those who have done this seemingly simple job....