View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 11:19 AM

Location: Cicero, Hamilton County, Indiana about 30 miles north of downtown Indianapolis
Well, I knew I would get a little heat on that one

But guys, it is always in an emergency situation. And it you have it all planned out, use what took per the plan. Too often, these things happen unexpectedly. If that is the case, you won't have time to find a 2x4, a telephone book or a tennis ball. But it is safe, it will never take the skin off. Pump on vacuum with you Mity Vac with as large a hose as you can easily hook up. Put it against the skin of your hand and pump away. When you have a good vacuum, that is exactly the same pressure as what that engine intake produces. I think what you guys are fearful of is the noise and the possibility of flying parts. You won't have any flying parts if you jump on it right now with your hand - just as soon as your brain can react to the fact that you have a runaway engine. In an instant a runaway will be at red line and way more. I would say that by the time you pick up a 2x4 and get it it front of the intake, your engine is history. You decide. Don't ask your kid to do it. Don't even tell them about it.

1983 Mercedes W123 240D 4 Speed 285,000 on the road with a 617 turbo, beautiful butter yellow, license plate # 83 240D INDIANA

2003 Jaguar Type X, AWD. beautiful, good mileage,
Mom's car, but I won't let her drive it!