View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 PM

Phenolic boards

Ever open a Sony PVM 8020 Video Monitor? Well the first thing you notice is all the "jumpers" all over the side bords done AT THE FACTORY to deal with the "peanut brittle" circuit boards (this was a Top of the Line 8 inch portable video monitor with all the same features as the VM1900 studio unit and retailed for close to $1500).

Becker? Try Clarion for brittle guts...we used to open the reman boxes and shake the new head units and if the sounded like a maracha we would toss 'em back in nthe box and try another one.

Hell I have a 1949 Motorola TV that is made better than 99% of the OEM non Delco based head units.

Now if you want to have fun, open a Blaupunkt and try an find a German part! Baseline Sony B Stock guts. But better than the crap I've seen in English cars...ChinoKorean sourced Euro units that cannot be fine tuned as there is no designed in potentiometer. If the factory effed up, that is how your freq's were set. My cousin says his Vauxhall sounded better with a wad of aluminum foil taped to the antenna cable connection and shorted against the radio chassi...no wonder all the really good "boffins" are from UK...they have to be to fix all the crap that is imported into the Empire.

John Lougie Baird is spinning in his grave as we speak!