View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Vintage MB Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Yipes!

Tom W
However, there are some good things too about it. For example m117/116 d-jet engine wiring harnesses. They were something like $2k+ three years ago. As of this Spring, it was less than $900. New, not some rotten NOS bit either! Magnificent quality, supple, a steal at twice the price and better than making your own. My hat's off to those who have done that, but it is not the same, is it? It transformed the 4.5 that I recently did that job on. I like consistency in the electrical bits. It is important they are not variables.

A lot of parts are going back into production that were NLA for years. If you want to replace the rotten ponton heater ducts in cardboard, they now make one in plastic. Could be better, but still excellent nonetheless and even better because there is nothing else out there if you need them short of making them yourself.

Tires of crap wires from the OEMs? You can purchase the raw bits to make your own ignition wires at Mb Classic. Affordable too. Good to be proficient with a soldering gun for those of you with earlier cars.

I will still say the quality of the parts through MB, be it Classic Center or the traditional dealer network, are of very high caliber. Lightyears beyond the best of the OEMs. Filters are filters, however with certain OEMs better than others. To each their own, there.

Seriously, sometimes it pays to buy the better quality part. I personally, despise making double work.

Mathieu J. Cama
Old World Automotive
Lawrenceville, GA
service@oldworldauto.com

Specializing in high caliber repair and mechanical restoration of vintage Mecedes-Benz.

www.oldworldauto.com