Thread: Altenator plug
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 AM

ok to sum this thread up and maybe give someone else an immediate answer to their charging problems, here is my trouble shoot on the charging system now that I know it like the back of my hand.

scenario 1:
Dead battery, no prior warning via dash lights, and all the dash lights come on when you switch the key on (once you recharge/jump your battery of course).

1. test battery, easily done at local parts stores for free.
2. test alternator, can be done several ways, easiest IMHO is with voltmeter across battery terminals (reading 13+ at idle means your charging)
3. check the terminal box on the right fender where the alternator leads meet battery leads for corrosion, and general dirt.

this one is most likely the battery.

scenario 2:
Dead battery, warning light has been glowing at idle but goes out at higher RPM, dash lights all come on when you switch the key on.

check the things in scenario 1, but odds are its your voltage regulator going bad.

scenario 3:
Dead battery, no warning lights, only glow plug light comes on when you switch key to start.

check things in scenario 1
also pull your cluster out and check the bulb for the battery light, brake indicator light. plug them in to a light you know you can get to light IE high beam indicator light and test them.
also check the small wire on the alternator plug for continuity to these bulbs.
if all that checks out you will probably need to replace your alternator.

mine was scenario 3 and I checked everything there was to check without actually taking the alternator out and looking at it. I took it to a local alternator rebuilder, good guy have taken a few things to him... he took it apart and gave me the lowdown of what was going on with it. he told me he could rebuild it but it would cost as much to do as just getting a new one, and he said the new one would be more reliable, due to the amount of wear on the housing. I got a new one and put it in, no more charging troubles, yet.

also as a side note if you are ever traveling through mid-Missouri on I-44 and have alt/starter problems I highly recommend Harold in Cuba, he's honest and fast, has been doing it for almost 30 years now. I also like that he will bring the part out to you and point out what exactly has went south in it before he replaces it. I once took a starter to him which he rebuilt in about 30 mins, and he only charged me $20. starter still works just fine over 6 years later.

Last edited by Masterful1; 12-03-2007 at 07:15 AM.