View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 08:01 PM

Story on Helga - I've only owned since [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG] March 07 - is that a good friend owned her for 6-7 years - bought in Las Cruces, NM and the odo was stuck at (actually between 317-318) when he bought it. He's a complete German car freak, mechanic (built/raced Porsche engines and plane engines) and he said he just "ran the hell out of it" with weekly trips between Las Cruces and Las Vegas NM - entire north/south length of the state - approx. 400 miles. He has dozens of pages of fuel refill notes and based on est. of 26 mpg changed the oil religiously. He gave it to a friend in Santa Fe as part of a real estate deal and the friend gave it to his 20 year old son who beat the shi* out of it between Santa Fe, NM and Bozeman, Montana for about 9 months. I came home from a year and a half "sabbatical" in SE Asia needing about all a man can need - car, place to live, etc. My buddy's buddy was tired of paying ins/taxes on 2 cars for his son and so he sold me Helga for 800 bucks with the stipulation that I have a thorough tire-kicking at the local indy German car guy in Santa Fe. 500 bucks, a couple hoses, valve adjustment, oil change later the guy said - well, it leaks everything but other than that it runs pretty damn well. My buddy knows by oil change/fuel fill records that he put 225-250k miles on it. AND, odo was broken when HE bought it 7 years before at 318k. I've run it by one of those roadside radar deals on level ground at 104 mph with throttle left and it 0-60 today in 15.8 with a stopwatch. I've done what he told me he did: I've changed the oil 4 times in 9 months with Rotella 15/40, used diesel power additive almost reiligiously, and occasionally put a little Marvel Mystery oil in both the crankcase and the fuel tank. No so much in the fuel tank. I don't know guys, WTF, real deal. I just noticed a little ticking at idle in the past two weeks but otherwise people have commented on how quiet/smooth she runs for diesel. I have the feeling of impending doom 'cause I just had the entire front-end/suspension rebuilt. I mean the ENTIRE deal.