View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I personally don't like vegetable oil.
Fair enough, neither do I. I dont like OPEC either. I guess you gotta pick your poison. I wouldnt touch the stuff if the alternative from OPEC didnt fund ppl who tend to fly loaded jumbo jets into tall buildings.

Quote:
I think its a disgrace to our cars to put these conversion kits in them. I like my car the way it is, the way it was intended to be. However, I don't have a problem with biodiesel.
Since your making bio-D you already know that bio D IS WVO (mixed with some harmful chemicals that have been known to result in burned down garages, and produce a by-product that must be disposed of). Without the disgraceful conversion kits, you could never run B100 in winter. It would be far better to run your motor on WVO using a proper kit like from Frybrid than B100 in winter. Not all of us live in Cali, we see temps in the teens here.

Quote:
When you convert your car you need to first, convert it. This takes away its pride and value. Add a bunch of hoaky dash switches and gauges to it and it looks like crap.
Well, that depends on how you do it. Granted, my conversion isnt the cleanest one and I plan to go back and clean things up a bit. Ive seen very clean conversions that do not affect the "pride" of the car. The bigger picture which you're missing is it takes OPEC off your xmas list. Theres a lot more pride in that. But I agree, the car is classic and any conversion should be done as tasteful as possible.

Quote:
Then you need to make sure you prime the car on diesel and purge back to it, and if you don't it wont start.
Frybrids kit has a controller which handles all that. My wife drives this around drinking starbucks and talking on the cell phone with 2 kids in the car and hasnt had a problem yet. Consider that myth debunked.

Quote:
And anyway, you still have to clean and dewater the veggie oil, so why not add a few steps and make crystal clear, water thin biodiesel?
Well its pretty easy to clean/dewater the WVO. You just literally pour it thru a filter sock into a barrell and let it sit overnight w/gentle heat. Done.

But I see your point. I will now run Bio-D and WVO to take away the remaining 10% from OPEC.