View Single Post
Old 02-09-2002, 10:29 PM

Cool dashboard replacement progress

I thought i would share with you all how my dashboard replacement is going. I started at about 8:30, and removing the dash went VERY smoothly, so smoothly that i wondered if the project would take as long as I thought. Well that was just about the only part that went smooth. I ran into my first major problem when i couldn't figure out how to install the acc vacuum diaphram rubber inserts, and i mutilated one trying. I had to make an emergency run to pick up a used one (ugh, i hate used rubber parts...),but i simply had no other choice. Got home, on with the installation. The next major problem came with the a/c vent system. For a relatively simple design, they sure made it hard as hell to put back together. Took three times of putting the dash in/taking it out to get it right(sort of). What ended up working was when i took the vents out of the dash, hooked them up without the dash being inside the car, and then putting the dash into place and securing the vents. Thank God someone invented a 90* phillips head screwdriver. It took me all of one hour to get the car completely apart, and took me 6 hours to get it "somewhat" back together. I left off at about 330 to go to work, and the glovebox still needs to be completely assembled,the wood around the gearshift installed, the acc unit installed, the speakers installed, the wood around the acc unit installed, the kickpannels(for lack of a better word, i guess its the bottem half of the dash?) instaled, and a good coat of vynlex applied. Overall, i'm very pleased. The burlwood looks beutifull, and the dash looks very nice compared to my old cracked one. If at this point i had to say whether i would do it again or not, the answer would be no. I should have gone for the coverlay, but this does look better i guess, and it's done the correct way, but man! what a pain!!! I can't post pictures because they are too large, any way to reduce them??
Ryan
2001 IS300.......sold
2002 330i.........current.
2004 highlander limited....current.