View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 AM

Question Front end Thumping Noise only after warmup.

My wife came home yesterday and said there was a Thumping noise coming from the front end of the 300TD. There was also vibration in the steering wheel.

She didn't mention this until several hours later when we were headed out to dinner. About a 30 mile trip. I could find nothing wrong, no noise, no vibration.. However about 1/2 way through the trip, thump, thump, thump. It sounded exactly like a tire that was cupped would sound and it showed up with the steering wheel vibration that she mentioned.. I pulled over and wiggled the front tire thinking loose wheel bearing or tie rod end and could get no movement.. this was on solid ground so not a real test.

We continued on to dinner and were there for about 3 hours. On the trip home perfectly smooth until 1/2 way, about 15 miles, same thing thump thump. Its def in the front suspension/tires somewhere. I put it in neutral and reved the engine, no change, turned off the engine while traveling 55mph, no change. These are brand new tires and I'm thinking maybe one of the tire belts is gone wako and once the tire warms up gets weird. The only other clue that I can think of is that when stepping on the brake while this is happening really exaggerates the vibration in the steering wheel.

I am headed out to the garage shortly to pull the tire off and look around, might move it to the back and see if the problem moves. That will help narrow to tire or suspension.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Backyard Shadetree Mechanic, 30 years running.

1987 300TD
1988 300E (sold, sniff)
1999 S320
1981 Volkswagen Rabbit Truck (Diesel)
2001 Ford Expedition
1988 Suzuki Samurai
On my list to buy: R129, for me, and a R107 for my wife.