View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 12:53 AM
'94 S500: only 793 sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjm View Post
Still, how does one know if a MAF is bad? Is there a way for a mechanic (or a mechanic wannabe) to actually test these things?

If the issue still continues after a good cleaning, what have we learned?
The MAF is clean if it works properly. MENU#4a shows the air-flow readings before and after using an AST Retreiver that can show live-data. That's about the best way (and easiest) that I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjm View Post
The only thing I did between the time I got the car back from the detailer and when the problem started was to move the car up the driveway. The symptoms I'm seeing didn't start to happen until 4 days or so after I got the car back.
If he used a silicone product . . . you NEED to find out what was used . . . and if so, make sure you throughly remove all of the silicone before cleaning (or replacing) the MAF otherwise the new one will be contaminated again.

When I did that PLUS I used K&N filters (MAF was also oil contaminated), I literally took the complete air management system apart and cleaned it. . . . even the INLET tubes! Don't forget them.

So I ditched my K&Ns and 'scrubbed' the MAF and cleaned the air-system . . the proof of a suceesful 'job' was on my last fillup . . just under 16mpg city. Doesn't sound like much but that's the best it's been in a couple of years . . . even with the 'big-tires' (MENU#32).

Visit my Mercedes Web Page

Last edited by JimF; 01-09-2008 at 11:22 AM.