View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Who's flying this thing ?

Why put in a diesel engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Byrnzoil View Post
go for it! I can't understand why previous posters would argue the economics of an engine swap. IMHO its done for the 'cool and unique' factor. Personally I'd try to find a 560 SEC... I'm in love w/ that coupe body style, have been ever since the mid 80's when I saw my first 500sec.
One of the reasons it would be done to to increase the MPG figures.

People here are always crowing about how many miles a gallon their diesels get, correct?

My point was, and is, simply this. The TRUE cost of running a car is in dollars per mile, (not only fuel mileage), which takes into account also such things like cost and frequency of repairs, insurance, garage costs, depreciation and other factors. FUEL MILEAGE IS BUT ONE MORE FACTOR, in determining total cost per mile to run a car.

I submit to you that fuel economy is indeed, and ALWAYS has been, one of the BIG reasons, people like to run diesel engines in passenger automobiles.
(It is ABSOLUTELY true in Europe where strastospheric gas prices practically FORCE people to buy diesel engined cars, plus some countries tax cars over there based on engine displacement.

"Unique and cool" factor you're kiddng me, where over 60% of the cars are diesels???!!! Shome mishtake shurely...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)