Thread: thermostat leak
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankowner View Post
I honestly don't know what the set up is in your model; however, when I changed out my t-stat and gasket last month I ran into the following problem. Went to the parts place and they said they had the parts for my model - I bought them, got home took everthing apart, dug out the old stat and gasket only to find that not only did I not get the right stat, I also got the wrong gasket. What I was given was an o-ring, but that is not what I needed. What was needed was gasket that fit around the outside rim of the stat. I had to reorder elsewhere and wait four days to get it. Anyway, like I said defer to someone else who knows your model, but on mine, it doesn't take an "o-ring" in the strictest sense, but rather a rubber seal.
Tankowner is correct. I know from my own experience that NAPA will routinely sell you an o-ring when you really need a gasket which fits around the entire edge of the t-stat. The solution is easy...buy your replacement t-stat from the dealer. Believe it or not I have found over the years that t-stats are cheaper from M-B than they are from NAPA and you also have the added benefit of actually getting the CORRECT part.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz