View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 PM

Ginny,

Rust is not an easy problem to deal with and as I've learned, what you see is just the tip of the iceberg. My rust ran along the entire left side of my 87 300DT. If you want to see how I've gone about repairing it, read my blog at biodieselbob.blogspot.com. If you want any advice, please feel free to do so. As for the door rust, that's probably an easier one to take care of. If you have rust near the jackholes, your inner rocker area has probably more rust than you are actually seeing. My jack holes were rusted at the mounts and had eaten away one of them. Probably what happened to yours too.

Quote:
Stuff like that can be fixed....I'd not give up on it just yet. Try to see if you can find a good welder to repair the jack area....just have them cut that area out and re-weld it back together with the jacking-tube in the proper place and supported properly....and it will be good as new.
it's actually not as easy as described. at the top and bottom of the jackholes are two mounts that are spot welded to the rocker interior. if those are eaten away, you have to actually get inside the rocker to clean out the rusted stuff, clean the base (top and bottom) and then find a donor piece to weld in. not to mention, your rocker is probalby rotting too.

Greasy is right: if you want to save the car, buy a 110V welder which is more than enough to repair it. you'll also need some shop tools which i can go over with you. or better yet, just read my blog and see how i'm approaching it.

But Jim Freeh is also right too: you have to determine whether or not the car is worth saving. It will take time and money. if you have both, go for it. i've had my fits with my repair, but i really have enjoyed the process. i'm learning a ton about unibody cars and sheet metal welding, that's for sure

let me know how i can help,
bob