View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 PM

Update

Went out this afternoon to have a look. 35F and sunny. Hooked up a running cars battery with jumper cables and let it run for ½ hour while I looked around. Checked all the battery cables and connections to the starter and ground, all AOK and strong.

Checked the voltage to the glow plug relay, each pin, and at the plugs. All running between 12 and 13 volts. Tried to check the glow plugs, but could not remember exactly how to do it. Ohms? All were running like .5 on the 200 scale. May have messed this up.

Gave it a try, jump still hooked up, and it would crank and crank. Not like before where it would just drop out. Crank, crank, crank………nothing. Good fuel smell out the exhaust, but not even a hint it would start. Seemed to be spinning fast enough to start, but no joy.

Decided to replace all the plugs on the spot. Off to Autozone and around $44 dollars and 1.5 hours later, new plugs in.

Ready? Cranks over twice, and fires right up!

Now the question. Talked to an Indy who says “I think it’s still the starter. Having the extra amps from both batteries is why it kept cranking. It’s a dying starter, the extra amps made it work”

I think I want to try a new battery first. FYI, I called the dealer. MB battery is $158.

Opinions on the starter comment? He also said that if the starter is more than 5 to 8 years old, it’s probably best to just replace it??????

Thanks,

Clay

I believe each of these cars are the final production year for that model.