View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Diesel forever

Should I keep the 240D?

Hi all,
I own a rust-free 82 240D in fine condition. I live in the Northeast but the car came from Arizona. I don't drive it in the winter, where it sits in my garage. Last summer I barely drove it. I also own a 92 Volvo wagon (my overall beater/commuter car for the last 3 years) and acquired last fall an 82 Land-Cruiser Diesel wagon (for camping, pulling my trailer, mild off-road excursions). I plan on replacing the 92 wagon this Summer with something a little more recent, requiring less maintenance and upkeep (given that I am also maintaining two 82's).

I'm debating if I should keep the 240D or just sell it off and go down to 2 vehicles. However, I'm not sure I could find one in these parts in such fine shape again. I'm retiring from work in 3 years and felt the 240D would be a nice car with "just retired" on the licence plate to drive around when I no longer need to commute! Plus for the little I could get for the 240D, I think it's worth more to me to keep it, even if I presently use it seldomly.

I also have a couple of teenage kids (single dad) on the cusp of getting their licence, so keeping the Volvo makes sense (safe car, low value in case they smash it up). But with two 82's and one 92, I'd like a car I can just turn the key and drive (Camry, CRV, something like that).
Thoughts??