View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Dan Fernandez

tranny

Thank you for your thoughts. I ended up doing the work I had intended - replaced the filter, etc. I was very cautious about torqueing the pan bolts to the proper amount, though.

Note - only 2 quarts of tranny fluid came out (plus maybe 1 quart that they say stays)! I had been running (and gradually degrading) on that amount (but barely, I was noticing no power on the last trip I decided to take and the car would move forward when in reverse, etc.). Upon filling the tranny back with fluid, it took the full 6.6 quarts that the manual says it should (and now it is full per the dipstick). Now it runs great! Its good to know that you can underfill it significantly and gradually fill it to the proper amount over time. My car must have been on 3 quarts (total) when it supposed to take 7.7! Not that I recommend putting less than the proper amount (and I am concerned what I may have done to my tranny) but it is good to know the car can deal with at least a little less, anyway.

However, I am noticing a small amount of fluid leaking (I think) from the torque converter. I am concerned that I do not have the proper washer on there. That may be the issue. I will check in daylight and see if that is indeed the source. This may be what caused the whole thing to start with.
1996 Mercury Villager gasser. ~ 20 mpg