View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 11:11 AM
ForcedInduction

Thumbs up

It has been a long time since I contacted him but he has replied, even if its somewhat vague its a welcome sight to see that at least one congressman is taking the issue seriously. Kudos points for Mark Udall.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Newcomb:

Thank you for letting me know of your concerns about a proposal to have Congress express support for designation of an “American Religious History Week.” I appreciate your taking time to get in touch.

The legislation you mentioned, H. Res. 888, would express such support. It includes prefatory clauses evidently intended to show why the support is appropriate. As you noted, it also includes a statement rejecting “any effort to remove, obscure, or purposely omit .from our Nation’s public buildings and educational resources” what is described as our country’s “rich spiritual and diverse religious history.”

I do not think the resolution would lead to action to require anyone to similarly support designation of a religious history week, and I do not think it would provide the basis for enforcing any official version of our country’s religious history. However, I agree that such resolutions should be given careful scrutiny.

I do not know if Congress will consider any such resolution this year, and because I am not a member of a committee responsible for initial review of such proposals, I will not be directly involved unless one is debated by the full House of Representatives. However, if that should occur I will review the legislation closely and will remember the reasons for your opposition to its enactment.

Thanks again for contacting me. To do my job well, I need to hear critical feedback from my fellow Coloradans. For more information about my positions, please visit my website at http://www.house.gov/markudall and sign up for my email newsletter.

Warm Regards,

Mark Udall
Member of Congress