View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Now, when we get people saying, "I ran a K&N and never had a problem," we get to a third tier of believability. This third tier pretty much needs to be ignored.
I'm sure you will ignore any and all the facts presented that don't support your subjective conclusions. Just what credentials do you have anyway????

In all fairness I will add this:
In 1996 I put a Borla catalytic back exhaust system and a K&N filter on my 1995 Viper. Within 200 miles my check engine light came on and my idle and mid range power went downhill fast. WOT had no problem with power production.

My hot wire looked like it was wearing a little sweater because the lint from the new K&N had coated it. This acted like an insulator and fooled the ECU into thinking less air was being ingested and hence caused a very lean condition. DON’T USE A K&N ON A HOT WIRE MAF SYSTEM. K&N sent a memo to that effect in 1997 but only their distributors got a copy.

In 1979 one of my 928 clients moved to Las Vegas. He took his 1978 car (CIS injection) into the local Porsche dealership for a major service and refused to pay $161 for their OEM paper air filter. He told them to simply clean his K&N or leave it alone. Their factory rep said the K&N was NOT approved for service in the 928 so they left it out altogether. In about 500 miles he developed a dead miss at idle and a slight power loss. Three of the eight cylinders had those nasty vertical scratches from ingesting Las Vegas sand. Their dealership ended up paying our dealership roughly $18,000 for his engine replacement because they put no air filter at all back in his car.

1984 300D
1985 300CD
1980 300SD
1993 SL500