View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300SDog View Post
What yer sayin here makes absolutely no sense at all. How in the world can you compare the first fully independent suspension, disc brake equipped, fuel injected production car with whatever silly "NASA" electrictronic fiddly bits have gone into the S600?? Nevermind confusing the Porsche legacy (actually were built on spare parts) with MB that pioneered unique gullwing doors - Haint exactly the kinda parts y'all would find sittin around, eh?

Everything else in yer reply just supports what I been sayin about modern tastes infatuated with gloss and glitter as opposed to substance. Like why should anybody care what kinda paint goes onto the Lotus Elise.

Doncha get it, doncha see?? There have been very, very few appreciable improvements in auto design aside from troublesome over-engineering these past 30 yrs. True beauty of classic pre-79 VMB's is whats NOT included with the car... fewer crazy relays, oddball vacuum devices, nutty electricktronics and weird unwanted features. Probly the bulk of which is reason you call yer 1987 300SDL the "money pit".

The Gullwing's engine, gear box, and suspension came out of a sedan, forget the model. MB was broke when they built that car, WW2 wasn't just a memory and they were probably still rebuilding their factories. It was revolutionary because it was the first real super car, and the chassie was extremely advanced and had those high beams running along the side. The doors were just a simple logical solution, that became an icon.

I wasn't talking about the paint on a Lotus, that statement alone tells me you really don't know much about the new stuff, no offense. Look into it a bit you might surprise your stuff with all the clever things they are doing. Like extruded aluminum parts that are bonded together with advanced expoxy to make a very light and stiff body. Or complete carbon fiber, or carbon carbon parts and bodies, super light. Materials that only NASA could play with a few years ago. Or magnesium engine blocks to reduce weight and improve handling.
2007 Tiara 3200