View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 PM
MB, love..hate..love..

The project begins

Thanks for the replies, thought I would post a bit of progress. Richard and Roncallo, you might be interested in my engine support solution.
First off, as pic1 shows, the car is up on jackstands and just far enough out from the wall to allow access to the right wheel area to remove the brake caliper, which I'll do on both sides. In winter, the 2 'babies' have to share the shop space, a single bay garage, so placing the car under the chainfall in the center of the shop to hold the engine up is not an option right now.
Thus, I studied the problem of how to build a support for the engine. I had some 1" x 1" box tubing, and a piece of shelf support channel, so decided to use it. A long piece of heavy wall box tubing would've been better for the cross piece, but I think what I have will work.
Setting it up like it is puts the crossbar directly over the engine support 'eye', with the weight distributed to the left frame rail and the right shock mount plate.
I welded a 1 1/2" long piece of threaded rod to the passenger side upright, and the brace on the driver side, which go through the holes for the upper shock mounts and have a washer/nut to secure them.
The upright on the driver's side rests on the frame, about where the air snorkel fits, and is clamped to the pinch weld flange on the frame rail. The upright on the passenger side rests in the shock mount pocket, and has a tab with one fender bolt holding it laterally.
Attached Thumbnails
560SL subframe removal questions-100_0725.jpg   560SL subframe removal questions-100_0715.jpg   560SL subframe removal questions-100_0716.jpg   560SL subframe removal questions-100_0718.jpg   560SL subframe removal questions-100_0719.jpg  

Last edited by donbryce; 03-21-2008 at 07:39 PM.