View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

The new shocks will probably not isolate you better from the road, more likely the new shocks will transmit the same or slightly more high-frequency than worn-out OE ones.

What tires are you running? The tires are the best first-defense against high-frequency / small bumps. Crap tires like the Goodyear tires the PO put on my blue 124 will ride like a corvette/pick-up-truck, good tires like mid-line or better Michelins or Pirelli will absorb some of this shock without giving up handling.

Much like the technology of suspensions, aka the GM syndrome, it is cheapest and easiest to improve perceived handling by making the suspension / tires harder. Cheap tires make a car feel like a cheap car, good tires will likely bring it back.

As far as KYBs, ... I have a set of KYBs on my blue car, they ride a little harsh for me, but handle like the car did new. I wouldn't have installed them, the PO put them on just before I bought it, 35,000miles ago now. I have a new set of Koni external adjustable (red), have been delaying installing them because I'm afraid the car will ride worse.

I don't know how KYB shocks affect the 123 chassis, or the 126, both are entirely different from the stiffer (highest chassis resonance in the industry) 124 chassis. Many shock mfgrs use as many off-the-shelf parts as possible in their shocks, might be that the parts used for the 123 KYB shock are inadequate. For the 124, I think they ride harsh, but are otherwise acceptable. Personally I'd spend the small difference for Bilstein or Koni just as I'll pay the extra for good Michelins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbach36 View Post
I was thinking about replacing the shocks on my 1991 300d, 118k. When I go over small bumps, manhole sewer covers, or even those small 4" high x 4" wide speed-alert bumps, you feel it all. I'd prefer a smoother ride. Do your shocks help going over small things?

jeff

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff