View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM

Help - Missing Vacuum Modulator Spring?

This past weekend a friend and I rebuilt my tranny on my 92 300E. All was going pretty well until the last few steps of re-assembly and we came to re-installing the vacuum modulator (black). We noticed the picture in the tranny rebuild manual showed a spring between the modulator and the plunger that the modulator operates. But.....we could not find the spring anywhere and so we're not even sure the spring ever existed or is even required.

I called Phil at FastLane (where I bought the rebuild kit) and his pictures of the modulator he sells do not show the "plunger" or the spring, so he was not able to help me.

I've searched all over this site for the pictures, or discussion, that would tell me if I need to be looking (or in this casing, trying to buy) for the mystery spring.

The reason this search all came about is due to the fact that upon the initial test drive, all gears are present, BUTTTTTT, the transmission is waiting until the RPM reaches max level until shifting from one gear to the next. I have read many, many threads regarding this issue as well and it seems the consensus diagnosis is always the Bowden Cable, or the Kick Down solenoid. I have checked the tension of the Bowden Cable and it is fine. I have not been any farther than that in trouble shooting because I want to know if I need to look for the Spring that may or may not exist.

My thought (and it could be totally out in left field), is that the problem is really a severe case of "flaring" without the spring present. This may sound ridiculous to most of you, but let me tell you that after rebuilding one of these things you are mentally exhausted. So I'm just trying to make sure I have "All the parts back in the tranny" before I start troubleshooting.

I have attached a picture of what the rebuild manual is showing.

Thanks for ANY help you guys can offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Help - Missing Vacuum Modulator Spring?-vacuum-modulator-picture.jpg  
2009 Hyundai Genesis - 65k miles