View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
I drained the 2 gal from the tank. the short length of hose from the tank was dripping (probably why I was getting lousy mpg) so I replaced the hose. While I was in there, I blew into the fuel pickup screen and it was clear. I put 5 gal fresh fuel, changed the secondary fuel filter, primed it good but still no start. Fuel is coming out of the IP return line. However, no fuel out of the injector hard lines.

What next? Does having fuel coming out of the IP return mean that the pump is being driven?
Should I pull the vacuum shut off and see if it's stuck? What other tests can I do?
You seem to have covered your bases well with regard to the fuel supply. I don't believe that filters are your problem. Generally, filters don't shut an engine down at idle..........they restrict fuel at higher fuel flows. They can cause a drop in fuel pressure to the IP and the idle might get a bit "lumpy" but they don't cause the engine to just shutdown unless they're plugged solid.

So, my thoughts now go toward the fuel pump. Without pressure from the pump, the IP can't fill the barrels and you won't get anything from the hard lines.

Disconnect the outlet line from the fuel pump to the secondary filter and put it into a clear jar. Crank the engine for 15 seconds. See if you get about 2 oz. of fuel in the jar. If you don't..........the pump needs replacement.