View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 12:15 AM

Transmission Leaks in reverse only! Front seal?

An easy one (I hope) for all you tranny experts: My 82 300TD has been leaking a significant amount of fluid when the engine is cold and I put it into reverse as i can always see a trail of fluid following me into a parking spot. based on the amount of fluid that comes out in reverse and how often I need to add transmission fluid (about 1 quart per 1,000 miles) i am probably also leaking a small bit when I am moving forward and know it leaks a bit at idle but not nearly as much as when i'm in reverse. The leak is coming from the front of the transmission where it attaches to the engine, ahead of but not from the torque converter.

Am I correct to assume it is the front main seal leaking? Are there any other seals I should replace when I drop the tranny or any other diagnostic tests I should run on it prior to dropping it? I have the filter kit and gasket.

I have to replace my starter so I have decided to go for the transmission at the same time with the help of a friend who has all the tools and has done this job many times. i'm feeling a bit apprehensive about such a big job but it has to be done. Any and all advice and support appreciated.

peace,
woody