View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Question 89 420 died today

Please Help.

Our 89 420 was running perfectly this morning until we stopped at a red light. When the light changed to green I hit the gas pedal and the 420 took off as usual. 25' later in the middle of the intersection the engine died. No spits, or spudder, just like I turned of the ignition key. I rolled into the gas station at the intersection and parked at the street by the curb. It refuses to start, no spits, the engine just turns over, so the battery is still good. I pulled a plug wire off using myself as the ground, my wife turned the ignition key. Let me tell you, the fire ing still works great.
A friend pulled us home and I started looking for the problem. As far as I can tell it may be the fuel pump relay.
The two fuel pumps are silent whent the key is turned on, and I disconnected on of the fuel injector lines and gas squirted out wiht the key off. I opened the gas cap on the tank to release the pressure and opened the same fuel line as before and the gas just dribbled out. So to me gas is getting to the injector system, but the two fuel pumps are not working.
I looked up everything on this site, to locate the relay, but what I have is different than what is shown here. The pins are different. Can you help me to ID the Fuel Pump Relay?
Does that not say the fuel pump relay has died?