Thread: Coolant
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Dead on balls accurate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
Sigh... I hate getting dragged into this...

That is such an oversimplification that it can and does end up being both false and true.

Low Silicate antifreeze (for protection of Aluminum and Plastics) can be Green and can then have SCA's added to it to protect from cavitation damage in Diesels. However HOAT's come prepared to do that too. So while it is true that using a HOAT will protect it is also true that using a Low Silicate with an added SCA will do the same. So it is NOT true that using anything other than Zerex G05 (or any other G-05) will automatically damage these things. And you got more to worry about to be damaged in a Diesel motor than those things. You got cylinder walls that would be more important if the Antifreeze did not prevent cavitation damage. I would be more worried about that! In this particular Car being discussed, it came with a HOAT/G-05 as Mecedes used this about 1984 and beyond. So I would use it for certain. And many find it easier to use than testing for SCA's and constantly replenishing SCA's. But cavitation existed long before HOAT and was controlled by SCA's back in the day. Heck... most manufactuers did not switch to HOAT until like after 94 or so. Ford not until 2003 IIRC. In fact I still use Low Silicate with SCA additives in my 01 ford. Its green and its good. The Additive is DCA-4. But I do have to test periodically and add if need be. About once a year I have to add 8 ounces. They all used Low Silicate Antifreeze with SCA additives up until then. And most times it was Green. Problem is that many of the end users didn't bother to check levels and keep the additives up. So its just easier to use a HOAT. And some people will find if they do not change a HOAT at a reasonable frequency it will lose its anti-cavitation properties too. But it eliminates all the bother in between. There are some die hard truck diesel mechanics that will not use HOAT but prefer Low Silicate with SCA. They can test it for SCA. They trust it. They can even buy coolant filters that introduce it a little at a time. Precharged so to speak.

Its a complicated issue. And color is sort of a shifting fad.

All that to end up telling you to use the G-05 but... and to change it out if your not sure.... but... I thought it was important to say.
I thought that was what I said... Use the G-05. At least they should look for the MB seal of approval on the bottle if they don't use Zerex or MB branded coolant.

here is information source Valvoline.com:
FAQ

What is unique about Zerex G-05?
Zerex G-05 is an ethylene glycol based coolant with an HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) inhibitor package. It is phosphate free, fully formulated (contains nitrite) and protects against hard water deposits and corrosion. As a testament to the quality, Mercedes has been using this formula for over 20 years.

What is a HOAT coolant and why is it different from conventional and extended life coolants?
An HOAT coolant uses both inorganic and organic inhibitors. HOAT coolants offer the best of all technologies for both immediate and long lasting protection. Inorganic inhibitors provide fast acting aluminum engine protection from boiling and erosion while the organic materials offer non-depleting, long term protection.

What vehicles use Zerex G-05 in the factory fill and what is the dye color?
1984 Mercedes and beyond (light yellow)
1990 Deere and Company vehicles and beyond (green)
2001 Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep and beyond (orange)
2002 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury trucks and SUVS and beyond (yellow)
2003 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury automobiles and beyond (yellow)

What aftermarket products are approved by Ford and Chrysler?
Ford, Lincoln, Mercury brands - Ford Motorcraft Gold and Zerex G-05
Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep brands –Mopar 5/100 Antifreeze and Zerex G-05

What is the difference between these products?
All products use the Zerex G-05 formulation. The only difference is the dye color.

Are extended life coolants compatible with G-05? And vice versa?
Mix coolant types in an emergency but for optimum long life protection it is best to use the OEM recommended fluid exclusively.

Can you use an extended life coolant in a Ford and Chrysler vehicle?
Both the Ford and Chrysler owners’ manuals do not recommend using unapproved extended life products such as DEX-COOL or equivalents in their vehicles and state that improper maintenance may invalidate the warranty of the cooling system. In addition, many vehicles are not designed for DEX-COOL or equivalent organic acid, extended life coolants. For example DaimlerChrysler is reported to have experienced solder corrosion issues in heater cores with some DEX-COOL type fluids.

Can Zerex G-05 be used in diesel applications?
Yes. Zerex G-05 is a fully formulated (nitrite containing) coolant that will help protect diesel engine cylinder liners from pitting corrosion. It has also been approved by Cummins and Deere & Company.

Is it safe to use Zerex G-05 in European and Japanese manufactured vehicles?
Zerex G-05 is compatible with Japanese and European cooling systems as an aftermarket equivalent. Consult the owner’s manual for manufacturer recommendations and warranty information.

The original post was about a 1983 car, so he might be Ok with regular antifreeze. Does anybody know about G-05 in cars older than '84?

FWIW, I always used G-05 in my 1981 300SD with good results...

Current
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280SL
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone
'74 Jeep CJ5
'97 Jeep ZJ Laredo
Rudolf ‘86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW