View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 PM

Electrical Gremlins - '85 280SL Euro

Okay. Chuck said to ask away, so here goes. This one has me and my mechanic stumped. Motor rebuilt. Now, starter will spin -- sometimes. Sometimes not. Like dead spots in the ignition switch. Tach bounces from 2,000 up to about 4,000, but only when car is cold. Usually gets settled down and all is well. Oh, and the horn won't work. Don't know if they are all related or separate. Everything else electrical is working just fine.

Sounds like a bad ground, right? I have looked and tightened up everything that even looks remotely like a ground. Under the car, under the hood, under the dash, you name it. Took the battery out. Pulled negative cable, cleaned, scaped and so on. Cleaned all the bus connections under washer resevoir. Two new ignitions switches, nothing. New starter when motor rebuilt. New one replaced under warranty just to make sure. Neutral safety switch replaced. Linkage is fine and all. OVP had the fuse blown. Replaced the fuse. Nada. I cannot bend enough to to it to test it while in the car, so that could be an issue. Horn has current at the wheel, but won't get through to the horns, which have been tested and are fin. Could the OVP be the source of at least some of these woes? I am really thinking that they are not related, but who knows, maybe they are.

I got a steak dinner, cold beer, or whatever you choose to spurge with to whoever can figure this one out. I hate electrical gremlins. They are the worst.

Thanks for any input.

Glenn
I am not thinking