View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 07:12 PM

You really do have a problem at a quart every ten minutes. I would still check the engine intake path for flooding with oil. Again I suspect it is not that though. Could also be wrong or would not suggest checking it.
Next do an air pressure check on each cylinder. Or leakdown test. I still suspect a head gasket but you want to be pretty sure before taking off the head. If you decide to remove the head get hold of the instructions. There is a sequence of steps to avoid damage to the camshaft on these engines.
Again pay special attention to the number one cylinder. There is the pressured oil supply passing from the block into the head just very slightly in front of the number one cylinder. The gasket is not very deep between the passage and cylinder either.
It may not be in your best interest to run this engine at present. If that gasket totally lets go in the suspect area you might get so much oil into the number one cylinder that you hydrolock. For all practical purposes if that happens just lean way over and kiss the engine goodby.
Another very simple test is to pull the number one and two injectors . If the number one cylinder is oiling that bad you should see it on the injector and in the pre chamber in comparison to its neighbour. If the difference is obvious you could consider one more check. Leave the number one injector out. Start the engine. Is it spraying an oil mist out of the injector hole? The second test is really redundant as the number one chamber is going to look pretty different in comparison to the number two I think if that pressure passage is leaking into the cylinder. Your high rate of oil consumption actually helps in this case. A small leak might not look different enough in the chamber.

Last edited by barry123400; 04-16-2008 at 07:39 PM.