Thread: OM617A Tach Amp
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
I have diagnosed my issue down to the pickup at the crank pulley.....I have a known good tach amp (its new, and worked in our other two cars which both have working tachs.....and I have tried three different gauge pods, all of them are known working. I have voltage (13.9) at the plug going into the gauge pod....as well as at the diagnostic plug/tach amp port under the hood....so the only last thing it could be is the sensor/pickup itself. It is aligned properly....and the magnet on the balancer is there......there's just no signal.

Others have said its not possible for the pickup to fail.....but if that were so....why do they sell a replacement for it here on fastlane?

Should I go ahead at this point and replace the pickup/cable? I am 99% sure it will cure the problem.

Also, I might order one of your units anyways, because of the self-test feature....thats just cool. It'd also not be bad to have a spare....

I have an early model of this PCB. It works great. Very steady needle and nice diag sweep at the beginning. My tach did not work at first either. I fixed it by turning the crank by hand with a socket on the crank nut until the pin in the crank is aligned with the sensor. Then bend the metal bracket with a pry bar to get it within a 1/16" of the sensor face. Works like a charm. BTW. on my first attempt I bent the bracket too far and ruined the pickup when the crank pin came around and ripped the front of the sensor. sneak up on it, changing the crank sensor is a real PIA.

1982 300CD Turbo (Otis, "ups & downs") parts for sale
2003 TJ with Hemi (to go anywhere, quickly) sold
2001 Excursion Powerstroke (to go dependably)
1970 Mustang 428SCJ (to go fast)
1962 Corvette LS1 (to go in style)
2001 Schwinn Grape Krate 10spd (if all else fails)