View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
is there no pepboys near you?
the Fram made in turkey filters are the way to go... frequent complete oil changes are indeed going to make what ever filter you choose to use a good choice.
PB has them 2 for 8.00 often limit 4...
look for the adds...
Ever split a Fram filter? We used to disect filter in AutoTech back in HS. Fram's are junk. Where their valves and the structure to the actual element are is nothing but cardboard, and recycled at that. Most high quality filters will use steel in this area. We had one engine in the HS that was destoryed by a Fram oil filter. The oil had been changed roughly 1000-1200 miles prior to destruction. The filter fell apart inside, the carboard (which is also on the "clean" side) broke loose and ran though the oil system. It worked it's way into one of the pushrods and cloged the oil. Shortly after, the pushrod exploded like a grendae and blew a 3"x4" hole in the block. Uppon tear down, there was many other places the carboard got into. To be sure it was the filter, we disected the filter on the engine to find the carboard falling apart. I belive Fram paid for a replacement used engine. It was a 4.0L Jeep engine from a 93-94 cherokee. Not a "touchy" engine.

Another acount I've had. I'm almost complete puting a zz4 v8 (350 crate engine: 355hp) into my Pontiac Fiero GT. My old v6 was not running right and so I took the oil pan off to check things out. I had small particles of cardboard/paper all in the engine. It is still rebuildable, but would have to be washed well. I used to be a strong beliver in Fram filters untill I saw this. I changed my oil ever 2000-2500 miles with the top grade Fram and M1 or Castrol Motor oil. I diseted the Fram I had on the engine at the time I pulled it and it also showed the same falling apart filter I had seen sevral years ago.

I don't know any info about their Air Filters or their Cartrige filters, but I know from my experience the Canisters are junk. I use Wix now, they are some of the heaviest built filters on the market that I have seen.