View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Unofficial wormcan opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcounts View Post
From that description it sounds like the sway bar (rod going accross the car) connecting link (the broken piece) got snapped in the accident. Definitely NOT a big deal at all. It will mean the car leans harder in high speed turns, and the rear end will "waggle" a bit more when making abrupt steering corrections. Just take it easy and slow and it will be a non-issue.

Yeah, they did - HIGH SPEED stability. We're talking about limping the thing home here - not driving the autobahn.

I swear, some of the folks on this forum sound like a bunch of frightened old WOMEN! LOL! So the rear wheel is leaning in a few degrees at the top? BFD! As long as the suspension components that hold the wheel in place aren't broken - or cracked to the point of breaking - it isn't that big of a deal. Hell, I see cars that have more and worse safety issues than that passing me at 70 on the freeway almost every day!

Like I said a couple of posts ago, my main concern would be the tire getting shredded by the damaged sheetmetal. Make sure that can't happen and keep it down to around 50 mph, and driving it 300 or 400 miles is not endangering himself or the public to any significant degree.

Smoothie, I would see if I could replace that secondary filter. Pick up 3 or 4 of the $0.79 ones they sell for for the old carbed VWs at any auto parts store. That way you're keeping the junk out of your primary filter, and if enough stuff gets trapped in there to plug it up, it is a 10 minute pit stop to change it.
Wow, you are good. You can tell from what he wrote that the car will be fine and that nothing else is broken from that collision with an 18 wheeler. Can you tell me the lotto numbers for tonight too?

I wouldn't want my wife and kids to meet a car like that on the road. I guess you wouldn't have a problem with it.

This is how I imagine his encounter goes with a LEO.
LEO: I pulled you over because I noticed a little damage to your vehicle.
Smoothie: oh that little scrape, a couple clowns on a Mercedes forum told me it was fine to drive.
LEO: Are they mechanics? Did the actually look at the car?
Smoothie: Eh, no, but I did show them a picture. LEO
LEO: In my opinion it is not road worthy. Please step out of the car and I will call you a tow truck.

Geez, I guess I'm clairvoyant too.

Be careful of the toes you step on today, as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. anonymous

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” Dr. Seuss