View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 AM

depends on why you think you need a new one. Does the shaft wobble? The plate for the points shot? Perhaps the springs for the advance are sprung? All that and more is likely.

Getting a brand new one from bosch is unlikely (and if it was, would be expensive).

Having yours rebuilt should be affordable.

Getting a new replacement that's non-bosch is doable. There was mention of a company that has new ones available.

As for what to get, one returns to the basics of what the distributor does, namely set the precise time of the spark relative to the engine valve & piston timing. That's accomplished with a combination of electrical and mechanical "special effects".

There are thre technologies for the electrical side of things, mechanical points, optical sensing (like the petronix) and magnetic induction (what's usually called HEI). Your distributor has points. Those points can be used with a conventional ignition circuit (what came in your car from the factory), or with a "switching unit". A common upgrade for a points based distributor is to convert it to use an optical sensor .

That still leaves the mechanical things within the distributor, and that's where a rebuild comes in handy. Most 40 year old distributors need to be rebuilt, but most car owners don't really consider it of much importance, so they don't do it. But if they did it, they'd notice the performance change at a gut level.

I don't think I answered your question directly, rather I hope that I've given you some broader questions to ask yourself first.

Thx -CTH