View Single Post
Old 03-10-2002, 04:06 PM

Matt,

I think you want to change the shift rod bushings rather than the shifter bushings. To do the shifter bushings you'd have to disassemble the shifter itself to replace the two bushings at either side of the shifter.

The shift rod bushings are what are more than likely worn. Part # 115 992 03 10 (about $1.35 US at the dealer), two needed.

There is a clip at each end of the rod, slip the clip off and remove the rod from the lever. I found it easier to remove the shift lever from the side of the tranny to press the bushing, the bushing on the end of the shifter will have to be pressed in inplace, unless you opt to remove the shifter assembly from the car. To press the bushing in I used a small "C" clamp a 17mm socket and a US Quarter. The old bushing will probably have to be cut out.

Soak the new bushings in hot water for a few minutes to soften them. Set a bushing on one side of the hole in the lever, place a coin (US quarters work great here)on top of the bushing, place the 17mm socket on the opposite side of the lever and squeeze together with the clamp. The coin will distribute the pressure evenly around the bushing the socket gives the bushing room to pass through and secure. Once pressed in you might have to take a small screw driver and gently pry at the edges where it may not be completly seated. Replace the lever on the side of the tranny.

Repeat the process for the shifter end. It might be a little trickier due to tight quarters but can be done if the clamp is small enough.

I use small wood workers clamps which come basically straight out from the bar, no arc like a traditional "C" clamp has.

Once the bushings are in, replace the rod and the clips and you are good to go.

'02 CLK320 Cabriolet - wifey's mid-life crisis

2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI...at least its a diesel

Non illegitemae carborundum.