View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 10:06 AM
peace out

I can't get your site to work, though I am using Linux, maybe it is on my end...

Anywho, I studied the infopop board, this board, Frybrid, and Neoteric, and came up with my own system which worked great. I did buy the Vegtherm, a Racor 500FG, and of course went two-tank with the looped return.

I worked with the biofuels coop in Santa Cruz dispensing info and holding workshops. In the end, though, many of us came to the conclusion that veg oil was not all that sustainable, because of what comes out of the tailpipe; as well as what veg oil all too often does to a Mercedes.

The solid particulates that are emitted from using veg oil need to be looked at in any discussion about veg as fuel. They are way up there, bad news, unfortunately.

And though I know I did my system as well as can be done; with a temp gauge on dash telling me exactly how hot that oil was b4 i flipped the switch to send it to the IP; still there are concerns, every tankful, of minute water particles attacking the IP and injectors.
Also, what long term veg does to rubber in the IP. MBZ mechanics will tell you all day long about the damage done to these cars via veg conversions. You might notice a little hostility in this forum regarding veg; these folks love their cars, and know what veg can do to them.

You have to ask yourself; is this an old beater who only has a few thousand miles in her anyway? or am I willing/financially-able to swap out the IP and injectors down the road to save her?

In the end, after endless hours of research and trial, I disconnected my fuel lines and went back to bio-diesel.

I am very concerned about sustainability, truth be told. While BD is expensive and 20% petroleum derived, it burns much cleaner than veg oil. It is much safer for my car, meaning the car lives longer (consider the environmental hazard posed by sending cars to the dump prematurely !).

If you use veg, you must dewater it. That consumes a lot of energy right there. You must filter it excessively. It is also of concern that there are legal issues to contend with. And then you spew out a great deal of solid particulates for all to breathe; it is the sad but true story of veg oil.

These are all parts of a rather complicated decision the environmentally mindful of us must make.

Also of concern, a veg oil conversion will require continual care, and will periodically leave you on the side of the road, no matter how good the system, is what I have seen. Therefore, high-maintainance imho; and not for the non-mechanic.

Looks like you might be in the Bay area; I am often there and can offer you to take a look at my system; it is all still there. Fwit, I think it is the best, most longevity minded way to do a two-tank.

Peace!