View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe View Post
I am very concerned about sustainability, truth be told. While BD is expensive and 20% petroleum derived, it burns much cleaner than veg oil. It is much safer for my car, meaning the car lives longer (consider the environmental hazard posed by sending cars to the dump prematurely !).
I'm with you on most of what you said. I don't come down quite so much on the ecology side of the question, but the sustainability is a hot button for me, as is reducing our dependance on foreign energy, and improving the longevity of the vehicle. Saving money is up there too, so my buddy and I plan on brewing our own.

I have a comment ot two about the 20% petroleum derived comment though. Obviously you are referring to the methanol - also known as wood alcohol. Although a lot of methanol is produced from natural gas, I don't have a problem with that because 1) we have an abundant supply of domestic natural gas, and 2) the methanol can still be produced the old-fashioned way through the fermentation of wood byproducts (bark, sawdust, etc.)
99% original unmolested car
~210k miles on the clock

1986 Ford F250 4x4 Supercab
Charcoal & blue two tone paint over burgundy interior
Banks turbo, DRW, ZF-5 & SMF conversion
152k on the clock - actual mileage unknown