View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFreeh View Post
The electric antenna has a mechanical timer on the winding drum. This limits the physical amount of time it runs. If there is any slippage on the drum, that antenna will not fully extend/retract.

You can get a scenario where the the antenna will not fully retract if you do not get the nylon pigtail engaged soon enough.

You really need two people to set up the antenna. Have one person in the car ready to operate the switch, and have the nylon pigtail fully pushed into the drum, so there is no slack when the motor starts the retract cycle.

You can also fool the antenna position by holding the antenna in when it starts the raise cycle.

The is also an adjustment on the motor clutch for dealing with slippage.

As a side note, I've seen both smooth and toothed cables, not sure to what effect a substitution such as you performed will affect the operation....

Jim
It's interesting you can run a toothed on one designed for smooth. Both are available still. The toothe one is the second generation I seen pictures on internet of it torn apart and it has a gear that catches the teeth and prevents slipping. I ran to same supply problem with an Ebay seller but was able to return the toothed one unused for the smooth one.