View Single Post
Old 03-13-2002, 12:27 AM

Yeah. I've been tempted to bid on 5 E-Bay Benzes over the past year but didn't because they were too far away to check them out.
I drove a 1961 'Ponton' 180b (a slower, less powerful version of the 190) for many years.
It was comfortable, reliable but not very exiting to drive. I've owned several vintage Mercedes over the years, including a 1966 230
(same body as the 'finback' 190/200 but with the small six shoehorned in) and my current 1972 250 and 250C and recently acquired 1960 220S 'finback'. (Despite the criticisim these fins have received over the years, I've found them quite usefull - I can see where the rear corners are when I'm backing up!) The '50s cars have a more classic 'look' and more lavish leather and wood interiors but their more primitive brakes and chassis may not be up to modern traffic conditions.
If you're looking for a '60s finback project car, I recommend one of the '63 to '67 carbureted 220S/230S cars with front disc brakes, power steering and a manual floor-shift. The four cylinder cars are decent drivers but lack the power and smoothness of the straight sixes.
Rust is a problem on all these cars so try to get the best condition body you can find.
Also affecting your project choice - is it going to be a show-car or a driver? Do you expect to sell for a profit when your project is finished? Most of the coupes and convertibles are desireable now so don't expect a bargain price on one of these unless it has some major rust or flaws. For example, there was a 230SL roadster mentioned on this forum that had a replacement 220SE sedan engine and there's a 220SE coupe, now on E-Bay, with a carbureted engine installed - all of the SEs should be fuel injected!
The smaller body '70s cars are probably the most practical for daily driving with better brakes and suspensions, more optional equipment, not to mention better parts availibility but they lack the distinctive styling of the older cars. Good luck.

Happy Motoring, Mark