View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 12:44 PM

I may be too late in avoiding fatal damage at this point, but what the heck...

My 99E300TD has about 115k miles now. Within the last 10k I had noticed the trans had started to occasionally "surge/slip" between the 1-2 shift before 2 would fully engage.

Also, within the last month, I've had a couple of occasions merging onto a highway where I was coasting in 2nd or 3rd gear at a low speed, stomped on the gas to merge, the trans jumps to 1st. gear, the engine revs high and the torque converter doesn't seem to be getting any traction-or is slipping badly(not really accelerating). It hangs in first for a while then finally SLAMS violently into second. (I have NOT yet experienced any of the "grinding and metallic sounds as previously posted by someone)

I've had this happen a few times now and figure the trans may be terminal.

To add to this post, since I bought the car new in '99, I have normally used the "W" setting for the increased fuel mileage. I also have never had the trans serviced as the owner's manual specifically stated that this is unneccessary and is "filled for life".

I guess my question is- is it worth taking it in to the dealer and having them do a full "flush and refill" and see if this solves/reduces my problems, (without specifically TELLING them I have been experiencing these problems)

-or- is the damage done, and I just wait to be stranded somewhere when it dies completely

-or- TELL the dealer of the problems (and watch them wring their greasy, money hungry palms in anticipation) waiting to tell me the trans is toast and needs replacement at the cost of $6k?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

J.G.