View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Kinky Friedman live in Dublin

Hi all,

i went to a Kinky gig last night in town, and i have to say it was a blast!

I didnt expect the Kinkster to be too well known over here, and didnt know what to expect for an audience. Let me fill you in on how i came across the guy - at a local car boot sale a couple of years back, i spied a book with a collection of his stories (3 books in one really). So i handed over my €1, and picked it up. I had never heard of the man before, and found his writing style and storytelling quite a gas, the fact that in his books he's fond of a Jameson or two struck a chord with me, tho' i'm more of a Bushmills man myself. Anyways, i enjoyed the read, picked up another of his books along the way, and passed them onto a friend.
Now fast forward a couple of years to last week, when my friend (now working as a tour bus driver in Dublin), spots a Kinky Friedman gig in the listings, playing at a small but very well known venue (Whelans of Wexford Street http://whelanslive.com ) and altho the gig clashed with the final of the Champions League (most prestigious club soccer tournament in Europe) i felt i had to go.
The warm-ups were ok, and i have to say country or western aint really my bag, i had come to see the man. Accompanied by Ratso and Little Jewford ("he's a jew and he drives a ford"), it was an immensely enjoyable night. I knew the Kinkster played music, but had never heard any of it. Ciaran, my buddy, had picked up a copy of his Live in Austin TX '75 cd, but i still didnt quite know what to expect. I kinda figured a lot of his numbers were humourous ditties, but he also played some mellow ballady type songs, including 'drunk Ira Hayes' which had spoken verses and a very gently sung chorus. The banter between the band was funny too, and he did engage the local audience too. He also read from his latest book, "You can lead a politicain to water, but you can't make him think", and told stories of his campaign for governor of Texas.
All in all, 'twas a great night. Im sure you guys are a lot more familiar with him, but i just wanted to share with you the tale of the night some Texan Jewish Cowboys came to town