View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 AM
85 300D 4spd+tow+h4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldiehard View Post
I knew someone who installed a 4-spd stick in a similar car. He said he had to learn how to drive all over again. The turbo tends to make slower shifts necessary, as boost is built up then you want to make a fast shift the revs don't drop down as quickly as you'd like or sormething like that. I never drove the car but it was very peppy compared to the automatic which one has to sort of manually shift in the 123's by letting up on the accelerator to pull a vacuum on the modulator valve, you know the routine. I hope that the driveshaft isn't a problem.
And where do you get the reverse sensing switch for backup lights? No big deal, I'd even consider putting a toggle switch somewhere on the dash for that but thats something to think about if you have ever tried to back out from a parking spot with cars whizzing by it is a little hair raising without any backup lights, not to mention if someone hit you you'd have a liability if they said your lights were not functioning. I know, worry worry! Its just that I've BTDT and wanted to point this out so you can plan on dealing with it before you are too far along on the project. If you had a donor car you can snag everything. There is even a special cruise control module for cars w/ manual trans
Nah. Drive it like you stole it, as long as the turbo is spooled there is little or no lag during shifts. The shifter has the reverse switch.
#1987 300D Sturmmachine
#1991 300D Nearly Perfect
#1994 E320 Cabriolet
#1995 E320 Touring
#1985 300D Sedan
OBK #42