View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 05:12 PM

84 380sl Stalling/restart issue

Hi all,

Have a pretty consistent stalling and restart problem on my 84's 380sl. Usually after going down a pretty steep hill while the care is warming up, she'll decide to turn herself off, and takes about a minute of craning to get it to catch and restart. Also occasionally stalls when warm and under load - think 95mph in the fast lane on the LA freeway and the engine dies, pretty fun.

I've checked some of the electrical and removed an aftermarket alarm that was tied into the ignition coil. New fuel pump + filter. Pulled and cleaned air idle valve. checked for loose electrical connections, cleaned the connectors.

Kinda at my freakn wits end and making me very nervous about driving around town.

Next thought was the Fuel Accumulator as I understand that regulates pressure in the fuel system. Any ideas on how to test this easily? needless to say I don't have all to tools at my disposal and am pretty close to dropping it at my mechanic and making it his problem, but I do enjoy working on the car and trying to learn from it.

lastly, should mention I've had the car for 2+ years, this is something that's gone from intermittent to several times a week.
thanks in advance.