View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300SD81 View Post
After reading the thread on the new tach amp, I thought I might give making a modernized cruise amp a try... How much interest is out there if this works out? Based on the wiring diagram, it seems to be a pretty simple job with a microcontroller, with almost everything done in software.

Pin 1, 12 - Power/Ground:
Step down to 5v for microcontroller

Pins 3,6,2,4,8 - Control inputs and Disengage:
step down to 5v and feed into input change pins on microcontroller

Pin 11 - Speed input:
Input pin on controller, type depending on signaling method

Pin 5 - Release clutch control output:
standard output pin + transistor or relay

Pins 7,10 - Motor control outputs:
PWM output to H-bridge

Pins 9,13 - Feedback input:
5v on one pin, other input to ADC

I'll work out a basic circuit tomorrow after some testing for signaling methods, voltages and resistances. I'd estimate approx 25-50 components, and if theres interest, I'll offer a kit or preassembled, but you'll have to be able to solder SMT components if you get the kit, I've given up drilling holes in my PCBs a long time ago...

seems like you are opening yourself up to a lot of liability. anything to do with the power systems control is rigerously tested. automotive systems have to be extremely robust due to the very dirty 12v power, dust and vibration extremes, temperature extremes and just really dumb people out there driving. while it seems like a simple system, making it work 100% in the automotive environment is a diffficult thing indeed

1982 300CD Turbo (Otis, "ups & downs") parts for sale
2003 TJ with Hemi (to go anywhere, quickly) sold
2001 Excursion Powerstroke (to go dependably)
1970 Mustang 428SCJ (to go fast)
1962 Corvette LS1 (to go in style)
2001 Schwinn Grape Krate 10spd (if all else fails)