View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Global Dieselisation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistel View Post
OK, I'm going to take you up on the offer. No need to do it by PM as it is not that personal and it may help someone.

I'm a 40ish male, been wearing glasses for probably 20 years. My prescription has been steady for several years and I get my eyes checked every few years. I fell I see pretty good with my glasses

I wore contacts a lot in my 20's, and of course I was irresponsible and slept with them. I haven't worn them for at least ten years. I have two separate complaints. When I look at a bright clear sky, I see what looks like little squwiggles in the sky. It's not really noticeable any other time. Thats the first complaint.

The other complaint is it seems like I have a tiny hair in the film on my eyeball, but it's not a hair, it almost looks like looking at an amoeba on a slide. It seems to be a bit to the left side, and when I try to look at it, it will move with my eyeball as it turns. I wonder if I tried to give my eyes a good rinse in the shower I might wash it away, but I never think to do it. It does not bother me much and like the other complaint, it is not noticeable unless I look at the sky.

Any ideas what these are?

Thanks

Peter
believe it or not but your two complaints are the same thing. They are called floaters. they have nothing to do with he surface of the eye. Basically the eye is filled with a jelly called vitreous, composed of collagen strands. As we age those strands congeal and cast shadows on the retina (the back of the eye) and that is what you are seeing. from your post, it appears to me that you are myopic (near sighted), and near sighted people seem to develop floaters earlier on in life - this is normal, i have a few myself, and im only 27. In extreme cases floaters can trouble people a great deal, in which case surgery is available to remove them, but again, that is only in extreme cases.
Hope i answered your questions.
1985 300TD - "Flitstone"
1984 300TD - "Frenchie"
1987 300TD - "4481"