View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Benzless Scoutmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Sv1 View Post
I was thinking the main hurddle for Alge oil was to get the algea to grow. Most of our efforts in this country is to keep it from growing, till now. Different strains and how much nutrients, light etc. are needed for optimal growth. Also, what/which strains provide the best ratio of oil mass to growth rate. That also might be tied to regional locations.
As far as tranporting, I could see the problem that biodiesel has the properties of a solvent of cleaner. It would take off any residuals in the pipe line. I don't know much about pipe line cleaning and maintence stuff.
I hear butanol is an alcohol, that is a near direct replacement for gasoline. Its a higher complex hydrocarbon chain than ethanol. I think it can be moved through pipelines.
Tom
With the vertical algae plants, it's a closed system where they can control all of the variables and grow many times more algae than an open pond system. Open pond systems have all the problems you mention and have limited surface area to grow the algae.

As far as using existing pipelines to transport biofuel, one of the issues I've heard is the water that is suspended in the biofuel will degrade the pipeline faster by causing corrosion at all the joints.
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys