View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Rondissimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
There is nothing wrong with your temperatures. But, if you want to run 5-10° cooler, then remove the radiator from the vehicle and spend two hours with a pressure washer and/or some industrial condenser cleaner and get all the fine debris out from between the fins.

Or, just spend the $300. and buy a new radiator.

Either will get the engine to run slightly cooler.........which will only affect your peace of mind.........not the performance or longevity of the engine.
Well, thanks Brian. I will do some pressure cleaning, at least a bit. The engine compartment needs it anyways.

I am just a bit iffy on that one.
After blowing a couple of engines in my younger years I always tediously watch for proper cooling.

Hey, did I tell you guys, about 25 years back I was on a trip across Southern Spain.
One morning, between wake up and coffee time I headed out on this back road in my bountyful white /8 220 D.
That pista was a real rollercoaster, I guess I got high on the up and down as I was shooting down the trail for coffee.

Sure enough, one of those dips pressed the car so close to the asphalt, I heard something touch down on it ... I thought of the exhaust pipe.

As it turns out, my oil pressure gauge drops out of the clouds straight to rock bottom.
Good thing I saw it and pushed the clutch immediately and hit the shut off on the dash.

As the car was stopped I look back the road and you would see the trail of oil and as I looked under the car, I could see the oil plug curled open like a tuna can.

Trust me when I say, the most sweating took place at the end of the day, after the plug was welded, the engine filled with oil about to be restarted.

It was not a nice sound, what came from the first 2 or 3 turnovers.
She took it, yet with a few grains of dust ...

Morale of the story, whenever LaRondo is piloting, the instruments are under 100% surveillance...

Last edited by LaRondo; 06-22-2008 at 11:30 PM.