View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 09:38 PM

Exclamation Should I Pull the Head :(???...But I'm Only Changing the Radiator!

Looking for your opinions...

87 300D 220,000 Miles

During our most recent Friday the 13th, I pulled into the Mercedes dealer to pick up some A/C o-rings...(woohoo I found the slow slow leak, at the expansion valve). The parts were waiting for me, so I left the car running with A/C on, thinking I'd be out in a minute.

When I returned (I took maybe 7 minutes) the engine temp. climbed above 100 and was sitting steady at about 110. I quickly turned off the A/C and put the Heat on Max Def. I backed out of the parking spot, put it in Drive, barely moved 20 feet, when I heard a pop, and watched a stream of fluid follow me through my rear view.

The Radiator tube on the top had cracked off...It was not Brass Re-inforced. So I walked back 20 feet, and there I was at the Parts Counter. I ordered a new Behr Rad, which is Brass Re-inforced at both In/Out tubes.

I also ordered:
*Red fan switch at the drier. (had a green)
*606 fan clutch & plastic fan. (recommended after reading through posts)
*Thermostat.
*3-Prong Grey Coolant temp sensor on head. (had a blue) (recommended after reading through posts)
*Water pump, new gasket for the pump & the housing. (call this PM, as the bearing sounded loud, and the interior was very corroded)

So with all these parts in hand... arise:

After reading through many posts I learnt that the high pressure in the cooling system is a sign of Head failure, (was the high pressure what cracked my rad tube?) and yes I do have the original #14 Head. I currently have an oil leak coming from the head gasket, which consumes about 1 quart every 5000 Miles, which one day I'd like to fix. Is today the day??? Since I have the rad out, the fan off, the water pump & housing out, should I pull the head and examine it for any cracks?

Or should I put my new rad, fan, and water pump in, and be on my way?

If I do pull the head, and find no cracks can I just throw in a new head gasket and be on my way, or should I have the valves, springs, and seals changes?

I look forward to everyone’s ideas and suggestions...they're always appreciated!