Thread: bozio nozzles
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Nozzle Basics

The Original 'type' nozzle as fitted in the late 60's for the 615/6 series engines was the DNOSD220

This was a 'straight' pintle nozzle, and No Hole....

The central-hole Pintle nozzle is the DNOSD240/ type. They didn't alter the size of the pilot-injection hole in the 240/ nozzle at any time--If they did, It wouldn't be a 240/ nozzle anymore!

I have seen loads of these 240/ nozzles, many very old, and some newer and I have Never seen one with a blocked hole!!

The '240/ nozzle was developed to reduce Noise, 'Diesel-Knock' and smoother idling over the '220 nozzle, and is recommended as a replacement for any M.B. vehicle using the earlier DNOSD220 nozzle where complaints of excessive Noise were found...

The later nozzles like the DNOSD261 and DNOSD265 use a different technology to achieve the same thing,-- And More...

These later types are known as Throttling-Pintle nozzles. The flat-cut on the side of the pintle-needle can be tailored for different amounts of fuel delivery at given lifts, meaning that Torque can be altered due to fuel delivery Rates by changing the 'slope' and width/angle of the side-cut flat on the pintle needle....

These later nozzles are more sensitive to mis-adjustments in their 'pop' pressures, due to their 'throttling' nature....

There would be no advantage to be gained by replacing a later type '261 or 265 nozzle with the 240/ type.....

Alastair AKA H.C.II South Wales, U.K. based member

W123, 1985 300TD Wagon, 256K,
-Most recent M.B. purchase, Cost-a-plenty, Gulps BioDiesel extravagantly, and I love it like an old dog.

W114, 1975 280E Custard Yellow,
-Great above decks needs chassis welding--Really will do it this year....