View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 AM

Found Turbo Rebuild Kit... Do I want to go there?

Found a rebuild kit for my 300SDL which I think has a KKK K24 turbo - from this site: http://www.gpopshop.com/rebuildkits.html

It's not listed but when I e-mailed, I got information that according to their information, the SDL has a K24 and a rebuild kit is available for it (from them) that contains "seals and bearings" plus a few other "common wear" items.

I'm positive I have a KKK and not a Garrett, but before I order the kit I'm going to remove the turbo and look for the model stamp just to be sure it's not something different like a K26.

Here's the question - between my dad and me, if it's something that a reasonably competent home-garage mechanic can do, we can handle it provided the kit comes with instructions. But does anybody know from past experience that we're going to find something in there (a fitting that has to come apart that we won't be able to press back together ourselves, stuff like that) that would make it worthwhile to send it off for the rebuild instead of doing it ourselves?

In a nutshell: based on experience, can reasonably competent people rebuild a triple-k turbo on the bench in the basement, or is this a job that even master mechanics prefer to send out?

The primary problem with the turbo is the massive amount of oil it sends through the air intake, and in the process blows out all over the engine. This summer's project is taking care of these oil leaks and other things like that before I take it back to school this fall, so the turbo rebuild is happening one way or another regardless of whether the turbo is functional or nonfunctional as it is now. Question is... can we rebuild it?

Thanks

~Michael S.~
Past cars:

1986 300SDL
1987 300SDL
1982 240D
1982 300SD

Current:

1987 300SDL